What is FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) ?
FRP is a composite material consisting of polyester or vinyl ester resin, which is reinforced with glass fiber and increased physical and chemical strength values. FRP metal, wood, glass, concrete and so on. It is superior to other production materials with its ability to easily gain different features suitable for the purpose of use.
- GRP (Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic) in America
- FRP (Fiber Glass Reinforced Plastic) in the UK
- PRFV in France (Plastique Renforce de Fibers de Verre)
- GFK (Glasfaser Kunstsoffe) in Germany
- PRFV (Plastici Rinforzati di Fibro di Vetro) in Italy
What is (Composite-GRP-GFK) FRP Grating?
Casting Type Composite, FRP Gratings are produced with glass fiber, resin chemical additives and pigment by open molding method and wet lamination technique. The cast grids are removed from the mold after heating and cooling processes. Due to their raw materials, Composite, FRP gratings are light, anti-corrosive, high chemical and mechanical resistance and dielectric materials.
Industrial plants, shipyards, treatment plants, electrical distribution and transformer buildings, etrol platforms, food plants, chemical industry, textile factories and military facilities are the main fields of application. In these areas, platform grating, sheet, channel grating, cable trays and used as a closed grid (cover).
Glass fiber, resin, chemical additives and pigment are the main components of Composite, FRP gratings. By changing one or more of these components, material can be produced according to the ambient conditions.
Resin used in casting type composite, FRP gratings gives the material high chemical resistance, flexibility and UV resistance properties. Different resin types are used in accordance with the ambient conditions where the material will be used. These resin types can be examined under 3 main headings; O-phthalic; i-phthalic for general use; in environments requiring chemical resistance, Vinyl Ester; used in environments requiring high chemical resistance.
- Glass Fiber
Composite, FRP gratings use multilayer and continuous glass fibers. With the glass fiber fibers used, the grids have high physical strength.
- Chemical Additives
In addition to the chemicals required for reaction, UV stabilizer, flame retardant and smoke density reducing additives are used in order to improve the physical and chemical properties of the cast type Composite (GRP) gratings.
Casting type Composite (FRP) gratings can be produced in desired colors by using pigments. In this way, it can be used easily in architectural projects where color factor is important.
- Lightweight : Composite, FRP gratings are lighter than metal alternatives, so no need for machinery during installation, labor and equipment costs are reduced.
- Corrosion Resistance: Composite, FRP gratings show anti-corrosive properties in environments requiring chemical resistance.
- High Impact Resistance: Composite, FRP gratings have high impact resistance thanks to the glass fiber they contain.
- Thermal Insulation: Composite, FRP gratings termal permeability is very low.
- Insulation * : Composite, FRP gratings do not conduct electricity. They are used in environments requiring electrical isolation and where work safety is important. * Electrical conductivity can be gained by additional processes.
- Non-slip: Non-slip properties can be gained with the concave and sandy surface types. It is used where oily and wet floor applications and occupational safety are important.
- Flame Retardancy: Burning characteristics of grates can be changed by special type of resin and chemical additives.
- Low Maintenance Cost: Easily cleaned with pressurized water. Since the color is given in the production stage, there is no re-painting costs.
- Long Life: Composite, FRP gratings have a longer life compared to alternatives due to their chemical and physical properties.
- Color: Available in all primary colors selected from the RAL catalog. It is especially preferred where architectural applications and occupational safety are important.
- Industrial plants
- Treatment plants
- Electricity distribution and transformer buildings
- Petroleum platforms
- Food facilities
- Chemical industry
- Textile factories
- It is used as platform grating, sheet, channel grating, cable channels, insulated carpet and closed grating (cover) in many fields such as military facilities.
Composite (FRP) have been used lots of fields such as, Construction, Chemical, Defense, Marine, Automotive, Aerospace, Medical, Electrical-Electronics for many years.
Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) is a composite material obtained by combining glass fiber with a carrier matrix resin. Fiberglass reinforced plastic is a superior composite engineering material obtained by combining flexible, but not sufficient mechanical strength plastic (eg polyester resin) with high mechanical strength glass fiber.
The products obtained by reinforcing the thermoset resins or thermoplastics with resin additives (glass, carbon, aramid etc.) or filling materials and subjecting this mixture to a certain process are called composite materials.
The mechanical strength values of the composite products obtained as a result of the hardening of the pure resins (together with the reinforcements) with the additive material are too high to be compared to other plastics.
The basic materials that make up composites are polymers, thermosets resins or thermoplastic resins, reinforcing materials, additive materials and fillers. Composite materials whose physical strength is increased with glass fiber reinforcement is a production material such as wood, concrete, metal, glass, and shows superiority over other production materials with its ability to easily acquire different properties suitable for the purpose of use. The FRP material has two main raw materials: unsaturated polyester resin and glass fiber.
The most commonly used unsaturated polyester resins in FRP production are thermoset resins in reinforced plastics. It addresses all kinds of molding techniques, from simple molding techniques such as hand laying to the most complex mechanized molding techniques.
Polyester resins cover a wide range of chemical families and are generally obtained by the condensation reaction of polyhydric alcohols with dibasic acids. Depending on the type of dibasic acid used, unsaturated polyester resins are referred to as “orthophthalic”, “isophthalic” or “bisphenolic de to ensure that the composite is of general purpose, chemical resistance or high chemical resistance.
Glass fiber used in the production of FRP is produced by using traditional raw materials such as sand, alumina, limestone, colemanite, kaolin. After very fine grinding and homogeneous mixing, the mixture is introduced into the melting furnace at a temperature of about 1600 ° C, where the slowly melting glass melt is extruded from platinum / rhodium alloy sleeves with a winding system at high speed and spun into 10-25 micron diameter fibers. is made.
FRP is obtained by co-molding the reinforcing material (fiberglass) and the carrier matrix (resin). Although this can be done by many different methods, the principle is to properly “wet” the glass fiber with the carrier resin. The polyester resins are polymerized by a chemical reaction to a hard, insoluble, non-melting material. The quality (performance) of the FRP material is directly proportional to the strength of the bond between the glass fiber / resin.
More About Applicaton Areas of FRP Grating
- Usage FRP Grating on chemical plant: stair raft, operating platform, guardrail, double floor, trench cover.
- Usage FRP Grating on petroleum industry: all offshore oil platform, all work safety area.
- Usage FRP Grating on textile factory: replace metal grille, wooden platform and cover cement floor, bleaching and dyeing tank, floor.
- Usage FRP Grating on power plant: chemical water workshop trench cover, waste water pool, platform, stair tread.
- Usage FRP Grating on surface treatment: pickling solution, around the machine to replace the wooden floor, around the highly corrosive container, plating line walkway.
- Usage FRP Grating on water treatment: overhaul aisle, large container, washer, trash rack, flow tank, biochemical water treatment tank hanger, ventilation window, staircase, cooling tower console.
- Usage FRP Grating on water pulp and processing plants: stair tread, floor walkways, places with high humidity.
- Usage FRP Grating on electronic industry: trench cover, all area that prevent anti-static.
- Usage FRP Grating on ship industry: platform, ship deck, walkway, stair tread, bridge, ramp.
- Usage FRP Grating on food processing plant: easy to corrode the ground, stair tread, slippery floor workbench.
- Usage FRP Grating on beverage industry: stair tread, plarform, walkway.